Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Return to Normalcy

Jack’s first real trip is over and done with, and I think we have both returned to normal. It was quite a journey and one thing I learned is that he is bar none the most pleasant human being I have ever met.

The worst of it involved a trip to Urgent Care on Sunday afternoon. Initially we thought it was due to tomatoes he ate for lunch, but upon further research it is more likely something environmental. We will have to wait to meet with the allergist to find out for certain. For now he’s on antihistamines and a steroid that he needed in order to bring down the swelling.

I have never been so scared in my entire life. I felt like the world was moving underneath me and it was all I could do to not fall on the floor. As we were driving to the doctor I was desperately trying to figure out if his breathing was impaired and wondering if he was going to die right there in the car with me. He was holding my hand, and with the other hand holding his rattle. At one point I tickled him a little. He smiled and shook his rattle once as if to tell me he was still okay.

I debated about putting this picture up because it’s so awful it just brings tears to my eyes. But one of the purposes of this blog is to have something to look back on and remember how it was when he was a baby. I would kick myself later if I didn’t at least put up something to show how he looked. So here it is:

allergy

Looking at him today you would never know anything was ever wrong with him. Here he was this morning sitting pleasantly in his bouncy chair while I cleaned up the kitchen:

orange

He’s become obsessed with his hands – clapping them, grabbing them, shoving them in his mouth. Here you can see:

hands

It is such a relief to have him back to normal. We have been taking it easy since we got home trying to get him back on his schedule. Even though it is a lot of work to travel with a baby, he was so pleasant and enjoyable the entire time I can’t believe how lucky I am to have such a great little guy.

Comments:
I'm so glad he's okay (you too). I can't believe how swollen his little eyes were!
 
I am so sorry that you all had to go through this! It is very traumatic having a sick little one! Look forward to catching up with you when I get back. xoxo Kim
 
Yikes - I hope that things continue to go smoothly for you and that for THAT night to be the worst night in his childhood - never to be repeated again!

Glad to hear your feeling better Jack!!
 
How scary!! So glad to hear that he is doing much better. - Meghan
 
i had missed this entry because of my hiatus .. but i'm so glad that Jack is doing okay now.

how utterly frightening for you to have to go through that ... and for him too!!

it is so scary when something happens to your child .... i will never forget that feeling.

so thankful that everything turned out okay.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?