Sunday, July 10, 2005

Spending Over

Jack spent the night with Grandma Gloria Friday night. It does get easier to leave him – I didn't worry near as much this time as I have in the past, but I still miss him. He's such a ball of energy and when he's gone the house is very quiet. Joe and I had fun going to a party and Jack had fun with various activities.

This is his new sun hat:

















Here he is with Great Grandpa Joe admiring the flowers:
















And visiting Fry's Grocery Store with Grandpa Tom:
















(Those three pictures were uploaded with Blogger - I'm not sure how I feel about their new picture functionality just yet.)

We baby-proofed the house finally, which for us merely consists of putting those little plastic things in the outlets. I know there is a lot more that could be done - I can lock the toilets and cabinets, put padding on the coffee table, put plastic things on the doorknobs so he can't open them, and probably lots of other things I'm not considering. What is the reason for the toilet lock anyway? Is it to keep them from drowning or from smashing their fingers? I wasn't entirely sure.

It seems there is more to worry about with regards to the "rules". Apparently once he starts having friends and wants to go to other people's houses I have to be concerned about what they will do with him. One friend has informed me that I am not the norm when it comes to food. I guess I just assumed people would feed their kids organic and stay away from snacks and processed foods. Apparently that is not the case.

There has to be a way to find a group of people to hang around with who don't plunk their kids down in front of the TV with potato chips and a juice box. I'm certain there are families who live like we do, I guess the challenge is to find them. I'm not necessarily judgmental about it but I would prefer Jack to grow up with healthy habits. Hmmm.

And I guess on another note I need to define what my rules are going to be. Are they just about food and TV? Are there other things to consider? I guess obvious safety issues like seatbelts and having an adult by the pool. As he gets older I suppose the rules will change a great deal. A challenge to say the least.

And then if you do trade kids with someone for playdates and such, are you expected to discipline their children? From what I see of most children in public there is not a lot of disciplining going on in the world. It seems that kids run rampant all over the place paying no mind to their screeching mothers.

I hope I'm not a screeching mother. Ugh.

I took some pictures of Jack today after Joe got home from work. It's funny how I spend so much time with him but I can't really see how darned cute he is until someone else is playing with him.

funny face

sitting

As you can probably tell, one picture is with a flash and one is without. I have to appeal to my fan base, and unfortunately two of my most outspoken critics disagree about the need for a flash. So there you have it.

Comments:
I was just talking to another friend about eating habits and basically we could only name a few of our friends who feed their children what we consider a healthy diet (not 100% organic, but mostly organic and lots of fresh fruits and veggies, no processed foods). I don't know if it is parents don't care or there is a lack of information out there about nutrition. I personally didn't become "enlightened" until I lived in my favorite hippy skippy Portland, OR. Ever since then we have been eating pretty healthly. I would always love to have playdates with Jack and I hope that you know we eat healthy, watch kids when they are swimming, and do not own a firearm. (Another important question for playdates!)
 
Love the flash. Now its time for an upgrade to the Nikon D70.

I am interested in your feelings on Berly's comment on guns. How are you supposed to harvest organic meat without a 12-gauge or a 30.06? I'm sure the answer is in a Whole Foods brochure....but how do you really know its truly nitrate free unless you blast it out the sky yourself?
 
I don't mean to be a downer, but I fear your only option in terms of blanket enforcement of the Rules is to join an Amish community or some other such separate-from-society group.
 
Lady: Your baby is dead!



That's what you'd hear if your baby fell victim to the thousands of death traps lurking in the average American home!

Marge: Springfield Baby Proofing?

Homer: Y.. you really scared us!

Lady: Sorry about that.
But the truth is, your baby, Maggie Simpson, is dead!


Dead tired of baby-proofers who don't provide a free estimate!

######


Homer: That baby-proofing crook wanted to sell us safety covers for the electrical outlets. But I'll just draw bunny faces on them to scare Maggie away.

Marge: She's not afraid of bunnies!

Homer: She will be!
 
Sorry.

One more:


Homer: Look, I already encased the telephone in concrete.

Marge: How are you supposed to dial?

Homer: Reach into these holes! I use a carrot.

Marge: Isn't that a little excessive? I mean, how are the buttons dangerous!?

Homer: Baby could order poison!

Marge: Oh that's ridiculous!

[Homer dials numbers]
Phone Announcer: Poison Delivery Service! A gift basket of poisons is on it's way.

Marge: Oh I'm a horrible mother!
 
Dirt - I think Kim's comment was more geared towards KNOWING if there were guns in the house, not limiting your children to gun-less houses.

PJS - I hardly think eating organic is on par with being Amish, jeez.

Maura - See, I had no idea! I just assume everyone I meet has the same weird food rules as I do. Oh well, live and learn. Processed food is made by the devil, in my opinion. You're lucky they don't like sweets.

FMLTYE - Thanks for the funny Simpsons references. Maybe I should just paint bunnies on the outlets..... hmmmm
 
Boney - What are you supposed to do once you know that, God forbid, guns are in the house? And by the way, are we supposed to store the Ding-Dongs in the gun safe? You know, Hostes is just the Farsi word for "Kid Killer".
 
No, I don't think eating organic is on par with Amishness (Amishhood? Amishity? Amishism?). I'm just saying that that's a community where you can be reasonably assured little Jack won't be fed processed twinkies and Jolt Cola when he goes over to the neighbors' house!

I just totally dated myself with that "Jolt" reference, didn't I...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?