Thursday, June 09, 2005

Keeping Cool

One of the more helpful hints in this sleeping book I got suggests that in between naps it is important to get the child out and moving. Expose him to sunlight, traffic, people, noise, whatever. So we’ve been having afternoon outings every day that seem to help him settle down at night. Two days ago we went to the car wash and one of the managers came over to talk to Jack (you wouldn’t believe how often this happens – people just randomly strike up conversations with a six month old baby.) Anyhow, he suggested that I get a cool washcloth to put on Jack’s head when we come inside. He says babies get headaches from the heat and this makes them fussy.

So today our outing was going for a walk. We’ve been blessed with a mild June here in the desert, so afternoon walks are still a possibility. It’s still a little warm though, so I tried this trick when we got home. Jack seemed to like it and it did cool him off.

cool head

We also had our 4th day of swim lessons this morning and Grandma Gloria came to watch and take some pictures. We’re very excited that her pool will be done this weekend so Jack will have somewhere to swim all summer long.

Here is Jack learning to move his arms:

arms

(Notice the different hat? Parley mentioned he didn’t like my other one and this one has a wider brim so I thought I’d give it a try.)

There are lane flags overhead, and sometimes when it gets too much I take Jack over to the side and he stares at the flags for a minute:

flags

He was also kicking a lot today – I could hold him out and say “kick kick kick” and his little legs were pumping away in the water.

kicking

Tomorrow he spends the day at Grandma’s house!

edited later:

I HATE HATE HATE letting him cry himself to sleep at night. I want to run screaming down the block. He's been crying now for 30 minutes and it's just dreadful.

Comments:
Love the new hat!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?