Monday, February 28, 2005

Oh my darling Clementine

When I was a small girl, my father used to sing Clementine to me before bed. This song made me cry (I'm not sure how this assisted in putting me to sleep, but I have fond memories of rocking in a chair and singing this very sad song.) So yesterday, when Jack was having trouble going to sleep and was screaming in my ear, I decided to try and sing. He was suddenly transfixed when I started the chorus, but I realized I am still struck by this song. Every time I got to the part "you are lost and gone forever, dreadful sorry, Clementine", I would start to get a little choked up.

So I'm not much of a vocalist. But the singing seems to be working. I went through every Girl Scout song I know, a few Carpenters hits, some Eagles and a little Mamas and Papas. (it was a rough afternoon.) Hopefully this will not scar the little guy too badly.

Tonight we headed off to dinner with Grandma Gloria and Great Aunt Cissy. Here is Jack contemplating dinner:

solid food

Maybe if I fill him full of salmon he'll sleep through the night?

Actually, last night was a tad bit better. He ate at 11, woke up at 3 but went right back to sleep, ate at 4 and slept until 6. THEN, he took a 2 and a half hour nap this morning. Instead of showering, doing laundry, cleaning up, I just got back into bed and slept. It was wonderful – I got to just keep sleeping. We'll see how tonight goes. I'm just about to feed him and get back into bed!

Comments:
My mother always hated the words to Rock-a-bye baby. There was nothing like looking down at your child or grandchild and singing to him about breaking branches and falling cradles, so she changed the words. Since you are singing to Jack – thought I would pass them on.

Rock-a-bye baby, in the tree top
When the wind blows, the cradle will rock
Angels will sing a sweet lullaby
As God watches over baby on high
 
Gotta love Girl Scout songs. Mac loves "Shoe Shoe Fly Pie" and, oddly enough, "Canadian Wilderness".
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?