Wednesday, January 19, 2005

WARNING: Head Here

This is a sticker on my stroller, apparently designed to inform the wayward parent as to which way the baby is supposed to face. But is it really a warning? I'm wondering if it's some type of language confusion (the stroller is Dutch) or if they are really worried the parents will put the head in the wrong place.

But then again, I wish this entire parenting thing came with a good set of instructions. Right now I'm working on the bedtime ritual – they say if you set it up early enough the child won't have as much trouble going to sleep. Of course it has to be complicated – getting the child to relax and understand it's time for bed, and making sure they are sleepy but NOT asleep when you put them in the bassinet.

As it stands, Jack's bedtime ritual is going to invoke memories of his parents endlessly debating his sleeping costume along with his father making helpful suggestions like "I know, let's just cut off the feet." (The outfit's feet, not the baby's.) and saying things to Jack like "You don't look relaxed. Don't you hear the Enya?" (Part of our new ritual involves playing music in his room before bed.) Of course he's not relaxed, because his mother is too busy laughing hysterically at his father pawing through the dresser trying to find something suitable for him to wear. I even had to set down my wine. (Yes, I'm drinking wine and breastfeeding. The La Leche women said it was okay and I believe them.)

The other day I was talking to my Sister in Law Anne (who is the Supreme Goddess of Mothers at this point – she has three kids, the youngest is six, and she's lived to tell about it.) She reads my blog (Hi Anne!) and said I didn't need to worry about the baby acne, that it would go away and it wasn't food allergies. But she didn't want to comment because it would sound like she was telling me what to do.

Let's clarify here for a minute. I DON'T HAVE A CLUE WHAT I'M DOING. There, I said it. If anyone out there has suggestions or input, I would love to hear it. I have parachuted into enemy territory without a map and I don't speak the language.

So here is Jack in the outfit that spawned Joe to wonder aloud about hacking off the feet and making baby pajama cutoffs.



Needless to say I did not take his suggestion and Jack slept in a different outfit.

So the question of the day is, What Makes Jack Wake up Every Hour on the Hour? He's not hot or cold or hungry or wet. What else could it be? Last night he was up at one, two, three, four, five, six and now seven. I'm going back to bed.

In other news, Julie's baby finally has a blog. It can be found by clicking here. You just have to check it out – the picture of Mack lying on a Hippo is priceless.





Comments:
HELPFUL BABY-RAISING COMMENT #234:

Brooke, when I wake up that often during the night, it's usually because I've consumed an entire bottle of red wine before 9PM. Do you think Jack is sneaking swigs of your pinot? Just a thought...
 
I can't remember if it was you or someone else .... but I know I just read something recently where it turned out a baby was waking up a lot because his jammies were a little tight and he was just uncomfortable. Maybe those cut-offs aren't a bad idea?

Paula
http://riseagain.net/dichroic
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?