Friday, December 17, 2004

Parenting as a Science Experiment

Is all parenting about trial and error? Two nights ago Jack did not sleep a whole lot – he was eating every hour and a half, so when you figure in the 20 minutes of feeding and a few minutes for diaper changing and getting me a glass of water, I slept about an hour at a time. I was exhausted yesterday morning by the time Joe went to work. He said "I wonder if he's cold?" Considering the hormones that produce milk in my body are the same ones that allow people to spontaneously combust or to breathe fire, it is quite possible that I have been under-dressing the baby.

So last night we decided to bundle him up in a warmer outfit and swaddle him in a blanket. We had to leave his arms free because he likes to keep them over his head as if he were signaling a touchdown. Lo and behold, he went 3 hours and 45 minutes between eating. Do you know what that means? I slept for 3 hours straight, twice in a row. AND another hour and a half before Joe's alarm went off.

I am like a new girl.

More pictures tomorrow – I had to spend the entire day out of the house today getting my car serviced and visiting a yarn store in North Scottsdale.

Comments:
i love reading the blog. i've been thinking a lot about how we virtually communicate. i read your blog every day, you read my blog, but yet we have yet to actually talk in person in well weeks. amazing. i don't know what i'd do without the daily updates.i love reading about your perspective and what you do every day. i feel slightly like a stalker tho. :)
brooke - seriously, it's so wonderful to hear about you and jack and joe. what a wonderful little family you have. the pictures are awesome too. say hi to the pups.
 
Dear Brooke, What a great idea this "journal" of your new motherhood is. I read it every morning to start my day with a smile. I hope you will preserve it all and turn it into a primer for new moms. Happy holidays - next year you'll have your hands full even more as Jack will be mobile!!! Cousin Bimmy in KY
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?