Tuesday, December 28, 2004

The Magic Sling

I went back to the gym yesterday in honor of Jack’s one month birthday. It was great to get a little exercise and get out of the house at the same time. Joe was home in the afternoon because his office was closed, but he tried to do some work while he watched over the little guy. Unfortunately the guy did not cooperate – he fussed and cried and demanded attention. This was the longest Joe spent alone with the baby and I think he got a small taste of what my days are like.

Of course I got home, threw the baby in the sling and he fell right asleep.

This is what he looks like in the sling right now:



So last night I put him to bed around 9 after he ate – this is a little earlier than normal but he hadn’t really had any good naps all day so I knew he was pretty tired. I woke up at 2 and he was still sleeping! That’s 5 hours. Joe was up too, and we were both worried. I made him check to make sure the baby was breathing, then I just sat there and waited. Of course he woke up momentarily and ate again, but I was surprised he went so long. I guess it’s okay that he does that now that he’s a little older.

I talked to my friend Natala on the phone last night. She asked me what one thing I wish I had known before having the baby and I couldn’t think of anything. I guess I knew a lot of the stuff intellectually, but until you are actually here with the kid it’s impossible to know what it will be like. I suppose it would have been nice to know that a c-section isn’t all that bad, because I was pretty nervous going in to that. But other than that I pretty much knew what it was going to be like – lots of diapers, lots of laundry, very little sleep, and hours upon hours of breastfeeding.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?