Sunday, December 19, 2004

Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Well, it's official. Jack is 3 weeks old and I'm already a soccer mom. The beloved Mini Cooper is about to become the property of Bell Honda, and I will be driving and SUV fit for children. Those of you who know me will not be surprised that I shed a tear at the departure of my little car. It was so fun and wonderful. But it stressed me out with the baby, he didn't really fit in it, and I was constantly worried someone would side-swipe me and smash him to bits.

Mini Cooper, December 18, 2002 – December 19, 2004


Sigh.

I was planning on being such a cool, hip, young mom with my fun car. No such luck.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new car - it's a black Honda Pilot. I can't wait for it to get here. It's like driving around in your living room it's so big and comfy. And it's a much smoother ride, plus I can see above other people. It's like I'm suddenly tall.

It's just that I feel like a part of my life is gone. This process of becoming a mother is challenging to say the least. It really does change you completely – I couldn't even think of what I wanted for Christmas this year! It's as though my entire identity has suddenly become wrapped up in this tiny little creature and his needs. Getting rid of the car was merely a symbolic step in losing a part of myself that I know will never be back.

The funny thing is that our friend Heather just sent me an email this week asking how it was working with the Mini. She just bought one and, like me, thought it would work with kids. I had to tell her the truth. But maybe it will work for her, who knows?

Yesterday we took Jack to Vincent's Farmer's Market. If you've never been I highly recommend it – he serves sandwiches, omelets, crepes, pastries, paella, soufflé, and various other items. You can have a mimosa or a can of Sofia, our favorite sparkling wine. (Yes, it's in a can. It's really wonderful. You can get it at Cost Plus if you're interested.)

Jack was mostly asleep



or trying to fight sleep



I thought of an answer for my dad when he asks what motherhood is like. You have to be a sports fan to appreciate this (which is odd, since I don't consider myself one). It's like you are a college football coach for a team that used to be bad but is suddenly having a really good season. You're winning a really big game against some great old rival on their field. You're feeling pretty good about yourself. Then towards the end of the game your players dump an entire cooler of Gatorade over your head. Yes, you're freezing and sticky and wet. You're probably shivering. You sucked your breath in with shock, and may be coughing from inhaling liquid. But you're also happy and proud and overwhelmed, and all the feelings mix together into one incomprehensible experience. And that's just the first day.

Comments:
I can't believe you didn't tell me the Mini was going away! Although it may be the end of an era, I can't wait to ride in your new Hummer. Do I get a special seat like Jack?

P.S.- what do you want for Christmas? It just occurred to me that it's next week.
 
SUV my ass! That's a minivan. You caved in and have convinced yourself that you haven't. Pretty soon you'll been running down the road cyclist just like the every other absent-minded minivan pilot (I realize the preceeding mutual exclusion). Comfy on the inside...ha! Did you get the one with the drop down DVD screens?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?